Zocor Attorney


Zocor (generic simvastatin) is a cholesterol-lowering medication manufactured by Merck & Co that belongs to the statin family of cholesterol drugs. Zocor works by blocking the production of cholesterol in the body. The drug reduces low-density lipoprotein (LDL) and total cholesterol in your blood, which can help prevent heart disease and hardening of the arteries. These conditions can lead to heart attack, stroke, and vascular disease.

LDL cholesterol is often referred to as "bad cholesterol" while HDL is referred to as "good cholesterol." But "bad cholesterol" is actually a misnomer because LDL is the same cholesterol transported on other lipoprotein particles. The cholesterol, itself, is not bad; rather, it is how and where it is transported, and in what amounts, that causes adverse effects.

Baycol is a cholesterol-lowering statin that is very similar to Zocor. Baycol was manufactured by Bayer A.G. Pharmaceutical and was recalled in August 2001 as a result of being linked to 31 deaths. As a result of the Baycol recall, all statin drugs have subsequently come into question. While the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) maintains that Zocor causes significantly fewer side effects than Baycol, the agency acknowledges that Zocor does pose some risk, especially when used in combination with other drugs.

One example of a dangerous interaction is when Zocor is taken with Serzone, a once-popular antidepressant. In these cases, patients have been known to develop rhabdomylolysis, which is a condition characterized by the rapid breakdown of muscle fibers resulting in the release of muscle fiber contents into the bloodstream. These fibers are harmful to the kidney and often result in kidney damage.

If you have been injured by a dangerous drug, the manufacturer may have failed in its duty to design, make, inspect and label the product appropriately. If you have taken Zocor and have experienced adverse effects, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. Due to statutes of limitation, however, you should promptly consult with an experienced product defect or medial malpractice attorney as soon as possible.

Contact personalinjury.com today to find an experienced attorney in your area.