Your Keyless Car Can Kill You in Your Sleep

 

By Sandra Dalton, Staff Writer

Imagine never having to worry about losing your car keys or locking them in the car. Sounds great, right? Keyless cars area all the rage and offer great convenience. But did you know that they can also kill you, and your whole family, by filling your home with deadly carbon monoxide? And the risk is greatest for those who can use the feature the most. Keyless ignition systems let drivers walk away and leave the car running, and if that car is in the garage, carbon monoxide can get into your house and poison everyone inside.

Keyless Cars with Quiet Engines - A Deadly Combination

When you’re frazzled, in a hurry and ready to start your evening, it’s easy to forget to push a button to turn the car off. And if you have a very quiet engine, more likely that you will not notice. Hybrids pose the greatest risk because the engine may not be running at all when drivers get out and go inside, but automatically start later when the power starts to get low, and possibly after everyone has gone to bed.

Automakers have been aware of this problem for years, but so far, they have failed to address it.

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Prevention

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. It often kills people while they are sleeping. Those who survive can suffer permanent brain injuries and life-long impairment. One of the best ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home and inside of the garage.

If you or someone you love has been harmed by carbon monoxide poisoning from a keyless car, an experienced defective vehicle attorney can help you hold the automaker accountable. Please, contact one today.

Add new comment