Know What to Do After a Car Accident Before it Happens
“Be prepared” may be the motto of the Boy Scouts, but it’s a message that can be useful to people of all ages and genders. Especially after an auto accident.
Knowing what to do after a car accident, truck accident or motorcycle accident before you’re involved in a collision can help save lives, reduce your stress and set you up for success in the event that you need to pursue financial compensation through a lawsuit. Based on our experience and recommendations from the National Safety Council, we offer the following tips on what to do if you were involved in a traffic accident:
- Remain calm and assess your health as well as the health of your passengers
- Call 911 immediately in the event of possible injuries
- Move yourself, your passengers and, if possible, your vehicle out of traffic and away from further harm
- Turn your hazard lights on and/or set flares or emergency reflectors to warn approaching drivers of danger
- Call the police and remain on-scene until they arrive; provide the police with honest information regarding the accident, but do not admit fault
- Exchange names, insurance information, vehicle information and contact information with other drivers involved in the accident
- Gather names and contact information for accident witnesses
- If possible, take pictures or digital video of your vehicle, any injuries and the accident scene
- Undergo a medical evaluation as soon as possible, even if your injuries seem minor
- Contact an experienced car accident attorney in your area for a free case consultation
Car accidents can result in extensive medical costs and property damage that insurance company offers are rarely adequate to cover. A qualified personal injury attorney can help you seek just financial compensation for medical expenses, vehicle repair or replacement fees, lost earnings, pain and suffering, and other damages.
If you were hurt or a family member was killed in a car accident caused by a negligent driver, please search our directory to locate a personal injury lawyer near you.