Causes of Pedestrian Accidents - Not Using Caution in Construction Zones
Construction zones present special hazards to both drivers and pedestrians. Pedestrians are especially at risk of being injured not only as a result of the construction activities but also by negligent drivers who fail to use caution when driving through construction zones.
Causes of pedestrian accidents in construction zones
Construction zone accidents occur for many reasons. These include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Distracted driving
- Driving too fast for the conditions
- Aggressive driving
Not all pedestrian accidents in construction zones are the fault of the driver. Some accidents are the result of a combination of factors. These include:
- Poor marking of zones resulting in confusion of drivers about which side to use
- Collision with parked equipment
- Use of high intensity lighting at the construction site causing glare
- Distracted construction workers or pedestrians in the area
The driver’s responsibility
It only takes a split second for a construction zone accident to occur. However, the consequences of these accidents will last for a lifetime. It is therefore important for drivers to be especially cautious when in these zones. Drivers are required to:
- Be alert – drivers should pay attention to their surroundings when driving through a construction zone. They should expect the unexpected including sudden changes of lanes, uneven pavements, and proximity to construction equipment and workers.
- Avoid driving too close to the construction equipment and other vehicles – this will ensure that the driver has enough room to come to a stop abruptly if the need arises.
- Drive slowly – drivers are required to drive slowly enough to control their vehicles and come to a halt suddenly when the need arises. This often means driving more slowly than the speed limits.
- Avoid distracted driving – there is a lot of activity in construction zones. Drivers need to pay close attention to their surroundings. Drivers who engage in distracting behaviors such as using their mobile devices while driving in these zones are much more likely to cause an accident.
Construction zone accidents
Pedestrian accidents that occur in construction zones are preventable. When such an accident occurs, more than one party may be held liable. These include the driver, the property owner, as well as the contractor carrying out the construction.
If you are injured in a construction zone accident, please contact an experienced personal injury attorney for a free initial consultation.