Walgreens Gives Mother Wrong Medication for Her Child

 

A prescription error at a Walgreens in Colorado Springs almost led to disastrous consequences for a 2-year-old child. Instead of receiving Motrin flu medication, the boy’s mother was given levetiracetam, a drug used to treat epilepsy. This drug is accompanied by several serious side effects including hallucinations, fever, and a lowered white blood cell count. It is not considered safe for children under the age of four.

Fortunately, the boy’s mother discovered the medication error before giving the drug to her son. The medication was in a smaller bottle than she usually receives, prompting her to examine it more closely. Her son’s name was on the bag, and it contained information about Motrin. However, the drug in the bottle was clearly not Motrin.

According to the mother, this prescription error could have placed her son’s life in danger. “My son could be in the E.R. right now. He has asthma, and some of the side effects of this medicine they gave us are breathing problems. It could have killed him.”

The manager at Walgreens personally delivered the correct medication to the woman’s house and was extremely apologetic. Walgreens has released a statement indicating that the pharmacist who made the medication error would be disciplined.

Unfortunately, prescription errors happen on a regular basis and are one of the more common causes of medical malpractice. It is important to closely examine your prescription drugs before leaving the pharmacy to make sure you have received the correct medication.

If you have been injured due to a prescription error, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your damages. These cases are very complex and require the assistance of an experienced medical malpractice lawyer.