Tidal Pool / Wave Pool Accidents Lawyers
Personal Injury Lawyers - Representing People Nationwide
Wave pools are large swimming pools with mechanically generated waves. Most are created for recreational purposes and, due to their popularity, are often featured in commercial water parks. But while wave pools draw multitudes to water parks, they are also proving to be among the most dangerous attractions at these parks.
There are many reasons why wave pools are so dangerous, including:
- Inexperienced swimmers
- Inexperienced lifeguards
- Exhaustion from less buoyancy than expected (most wave pools contain fresh water, which is less buoyant than salt water)
- False confidence provided by non-life saving flotation devices such as inner tubes, rafts and floats
- Being knocked off from or even trapped in an eddy by the tight fit of a flotation device
- Dynamic water environment can pull swimmers further into the deep end of the pool than intended
- Peer pressure from friends to join them in the pool
- Inadequate safety measures
- Reduced water clarity due to chlorine, heat, and agitation from the waves, sun glare, and other factors that can complicate a lifeguards duties
- Loud noise and music in the area that prevents lifeguards from hearing distress calls
- Large or sudden crowding (such as often occurs when a wave is about to be released) makes it difficult for lifeguards to watch everyone
A girl died recently during a birthday party at a wave pool in Canada. The wave pool has a capacity of 480, which many safety experts consider too many for lifeguards to watch. Most safety experts suggest that parents not rely on lifeguards and actively supervise their children when visiting a water park.
Despite the fact that most wave pools have safety measures in place designed to prevent accidents, there have been numerous injuries, drownings, and rescue attempts at wave pools over the years. And not all wave pools take the indicated precautions.
If you or your family has been affected by a tragic wave pool accident, it is of utmost importance for you fully understand your legal rights. A qualified personal injury or wrongful death attorney with experience in wave pool accident cases can help you seek justice and the maximum compensation you deserve.